Friday, July 30, 2010

"The Last Month Sucked" or "Karma is cyclical, right?"

So I don't often do posts about myself, which I suppose completely defeats the purpose of having a blog, but I feel that many people out there need an update on what is going on over here besides the fact that Adam and I are eating far too many sweets. Well, it's summer in Rochester, which is not at all like summer was here last year, but rather crazy hot and super boring at work. Here are the highlights:

The Bad) I lost that career starting job that I managed to grab last year in DC. This was pretty much soul crushing.
The Good) Now I can go to grad school! This was something I was kind of bummed that I would have to miss out on, so I'm glad that I don't have a pesky career getting in the way (or that's what I'm telling myself).

The Bad) I never took economics in college, so I'm missing a hugely important pre-requisite for getting into graduate school.
The Good) U of R offers many economics courses and I've officially been working there long enough to earn tuition benefits.

The Bad) I will be staying in my abysmal job at least through December.
The Good) I'm staying because my office agreed to cover 100% of my tuition this Fall, as long as I continue to work for them through the end of the semester. That's about $3,000 they are shelling out to help me feel happy, so you have to give them a little credit for that.

The Bad) Some jerks ripped my porch to pieces and stole our new bicycles.
The Good) ...actually I'm not sure there is a good. Oh, they didn't manage to steal the package my grandmother sent me for my birthday, so I have a blender now! Never have I so desired adult blended beverages...

The Bad) We're having the hottest summer on record. This is not so great in a 400 sqft apartment.
The Good) My godparents generously donated the funds for Adam and I to purchase an air conditioner, which is A-FREAKING-MAZING. No really, it works wonders, and for once the tiny floorplan is paying off, since the little machine cools the whole house down in about 20 minutes.

So that's the two-cent version of what's happened to me since the first of July. I'm having a good time thinking that everything came out even, although there is still one day left for the month to wreck havoc on my outlook. Instead I'll sit here eating my grainy mac and cheese while waiting for my hair dye to set and hope that August brings much better times than its predecessor.

Cheers all.

No comments:

Post a Comment