Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Poor Girl Cooks: Sticky Buns for People Who Like to Sleep In

When I was younger and less concerned about my waistline, the one weekend a year when my mom would break down and make sticky pecan rolls was the best weekend in the world. I've never really understood what would spur her to make them (I think if I had figured it out, I would have exploited it endlessly), but I was sure glad when she did. The batch never made it to Monday morning. They are some of the tastiest breakfast treats ever created by God or man or my mom. Therefore, when I inherited my very first KitchenAid I made it a priority to learn to make sticky buns. I suddenly learned the great drawback to this fantastical recipe: they take over FOUR HOURS to make. No seriously, four hours. And that's rushing things along! You see, my mom uses a double rising dough (is that a real name for it?), and rising takes quite a bit of time, especially in the middle of a cold Pullman winter. That, coupled with the kidnapping of my KitchenAid by a storage unit, has led to no further attempts to make my own sticky buns (minus the small incident last spring involving a whole wheat attempt).

I sulked around about this problem for a bit until one day I saw an article about a quick and easy way to make cinnamon rolls! Turns out if you take frozen or tinned biscuits, mush them all together to make a sheet of dough, you can actually use them to make cinnamon rolls with great success! And even better, the recipe can be further adapted into sticky buns! Joy unbounded!

These are of course some of the healthiest things you can make...for your soul. They bring it one step closer to being set free...


Please ignore the half pound of butter staring you in the face.

When I starting to make the sticky sauce, I forgot to adjust for the fact that I was making a much smaller batch of buns and I may have made entirely too much sauce.


Yes, entirely too much sauce.

At any rate, pour your sauce into the pan and add your nuts.


Yes, I meant that variety of nuts.

Set the pan aside and pop your biscuit tins and lay them out in a rectangle type pattern. Then proceed to smoosh them together. This could take a while and probably won't be perfect.


Paint on a layer of butter, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, and roll up into a little roll of deliciousness.


Slice it into 1"-1.5" rolls and arrange on top of your nuts. Then bake, remove, flip, and admire.


Perhaps not as delicious as my mom's thoroughly prepared recipe, but still amazing AND I got to sleep in. Highly recommended.

Sticky Buns for Sleepy People
adapted from Nerdist.com and my mom

Sticky sauce (adjusted for volume)
1 stick of butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
Pecans or walnuts (or any other nut you prefer)

Melt the butter in a saucepan and stir to incorporate the brown sugar and syrup. Pour into a baking pan and sprinkle with nuts. Set aside.

Buns
2 tins of biscuits
Melted butter
Cinnamon sugar

Open tins and lay out biscuits in a rectangle. Smoosh together to form a coherent sheet, brush with butter, sprinkle with sugar, and roll. Slice into 1"-1.5" rolls and arrange in your pan of sticky sauce. Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes or until the buns look done. Remove, cool for about 5-10 minutes, then invert onto a foil lined surface (trust me, you'll appreciate not having to clean up sticky sauce). Eat as many as your diet may (or may not) allow.

1 comment:

  1. Well done Katie!! Shortcuts are always allowable!
    And they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete